Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

Default Is Knob-and-Tube *Always* Dangerous?

wrote:
Insurance KNOWS its fire hazard rate is higher, and buying a preowned
home its possible others did unsafe changes to the wiring.

Things DONBT last forever and K&T is just another thing.........

solder can and does fail over time espically if anyone used acid flux
when making repairs, its great for plumbing but unsafe for electrical
wires.

if your defending K&T please state if your home has that wiring.....
thanks

Hi, I'm not defending K&T and I do not own any property with it. I was
just pointing out what makes it unsafe. Realities of todays lifestyles
with everything electronic and AC in every room make it very likely that
K&T has been scabbed on to and over loaded. Thats what makes it unsafe.
If K&T were just used for a couple of overhead lights and wall socket
for a lamp and never was over loaded and the fuse was of a proper size,
and always has been, then I would not be concerned.

If, as I stated, it has been messed with, added on to, over loaded, a
larger fuse used, remodeled around, etc. I would not be comfortable with
it.

So, most likely its unsafe or someone will make it unsafe my replacing a
15A fuse with a 30A fuse, swapping an outlet for a grounded outlet
without hooking up the ground then running their window AC, hairdryer
and PC off of that outlet. Thats when it becomes unsafe.