Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Choise76Smu@EhOhEll.Net is offline

Default Any tricks for One-Man Toilet Replacing?

"peter" in news:kapxg.7946$V74.7652@trnddc08:

wrote in message
oups.com...
So I changed the wax ring on a toilet that overflowed. Did a real
nice clean-up job. Trying to position a toilet over the bolts by
yourself is like trying to (pardon the vulgarism) pop a zit on your
back. I tried using duct tape to position the bolts straight, so I
could plop the toilet over them. Didn't work. I ended up bending
one of the bolts, and now I can't get the nut/washer combo to secure
the terlet to the floor tightly.

Does anyone have any trick on how to replace toilets if you're
working alone?

put two pieces of 2x4 down around the bolts and put the toilet on the
2x4 then line up the bolt and the toilet and pull out the 2x4 one at a
time if this is still difficult, tie a string on the tip of the bolt
and thread it through the toilet so you can pull on the string to
straighten the bolt

yes, temp prop/spacers while aligning base over bolts.

also useful for similars situations:

cut slot in piece of plastic like cottage cheeeses lid. those help hold boltta temp. some
people ppl attach bolt to flange with a nut (buy a pair of stainless nuts in 10-24 or whatever
flange bolt threads are)

i've already assumed you'd separated tank from base. unless neweish, the spongey
washer below flush assembly (the big hole in center of tank) may be brittle and will leak
when flushing.

do'nt use any steel parts (except perhaps the washers)

some hardware stores still sell crappy brass "finish" tank bolts. even more sell brass tank
bolts (good) but the kit includes plain steel nuts. (i prescribe only *one* baseball bat to
noggin for *these* store buyers)

common chrome/(nickel?) plated brass or stainless are not magnetic. so take magnetic tip
screwdriver or fridge magnet to store to detect the crappy plain steel parts.