Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Is Knob-and-Tube *Always* Dangerous?

knob and tube is ungrounded, as was lots of Romex installed in the 50's and
60's . In some places its unprotected and subject to mechanical damage. The
stuff is OLD, but in my experience, most of the K&T I've seen, has been in
excellent condition, unlike rubber covered conductors of BX cables from the
40's and 50's, which breaks down and crumbles from heat. I would ultimately
replace it, but I wouldn't feel in any hurry to do it yesterday

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm sure this question has been posted and answered a thousand times
here, but a family member who routinely asks me to walk-through homes
she is interested in buying (because, as a walking Typhoid Mary of
Money Pits, I have hard-earned knowledge) has asked me to jump on a
particularly desirable (location, location, location) multi-unit this
AM.

One half of this duplex has knob-and-tube.

I have read conflicting estimates of the integrity and safety of
knob-and-tube on this group and other web sites. But I'm scheduled to
go through the home in two hours and thought I'd post and maybe get
some fresh insights.

From the street, and as far as the exterior foundation goes, this home

is an absolute steal (new roof, great landscaping, has it all). My
family member needs a place to run to as the result of a divorce and
won't be able to take on both the mortgage and a complete rewire at the
time of sale; hence, my post.

Thank you as always for your responses.