jim rozen

Default Lathe accuracy

In article , Tony says...

Even in my production days we were expected to turn to tenths with a
Hardinge turret machine, and it took a lot of tinkering and adjustment.

The spindle and spindle bearings are of course going to be
vastly different between the Prazi-in-question, and your
hardinge example! That right there makes up most of the
difference in behavior.

I think the Prazi spec is basically quoting what a dial
gage will read, if it clocks the OD of the spindle - which
of course is a nonsense number. The real number is, how
much does the dial move when you put a broomstick into
the spindle hole, and push on it with 30 lbs of force?

The hardinge turret tooling sure does come in 'tenths'
micro-adjustable versions - one sees it all the time on
ebay.

Jim

please reply to: