Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist Phil Anthropist is offline

Default Plaster Cracking Around Double Glazing

"RedOnRed" wrote:
We had new hardwood double glazed windows fitted last November and ever
since i've had to keep going round them filling cracks that have developed
in the plaster work and in the filler they used. Two of the frames have
slight play which is enough to make the crack expand by a mil or two when
they're moved with some degree of force.

The cracks don't run the entire length of the windows frame but are
haphapzard and typically within 5mm of the frame.

They made good the first time and i've been round three times, which makes
it four times by last May and it looks like they're ready for another
flexible 10% filling/painting session.

The installer has just told me that he's never known anything like this in
22 years of being in the business and would like me to send him some
photos before he commits himself to a visit, as he's not convinced it
could be due to the windows...lol.

The house is constructed of solid plastered walls.

It's a problem we never had prior to the windows being fitted and is a
complete nuisance of a job that I hadn't expected to have to do every
couple of months.

Anyone else had any experience of this type of thing or a view of what
might be causing it would be appreciated?

Regarding the two frames that move, movement of the window frames could
cause plaster to crack. The frames shouldn't move. Why didn't the fitter fix
this when they made good the first time? Regarding cracking of plaster
around frames that don't move, there are a number of causes of this, some of
which can relate to the damage caused by the removal of old windows frames
and fitting new ones, and some of which have nothing to do with your new
windows. Without being able to see the property it is difficult to say. You
could ask a builder/plasterer for an estimate of the cost of repair to see
what they think is causing these cracks. It is a waste of time repeatedly
filling and painting if the cause is not found and dealt with.