Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Plaster Cracking Around Double Glazing

RedOnRed wrote:
We had new hardwood double glazed windows fitted last November and ever
since i've had to keep going round them filling cracks that have developed
in the plaster work and in the filler they used. Two of the frames have
slight play which is enough to make the crack expand by a mil or two when
they're moved with some degree of force.

The cracks don't run the entire length of the windows frame but are
haphapzard and typically within 5mm of the frame.

They made good the first time and i've been round three times, which makes
it four times by last May and it looks like they're ready for another
flexible 10% filling/painting session.

The installer has just told me that he's never known anything like this in
22 years of being in the business and would like me to send him some photos
before he commits himself to a visit, as he's not convinced it could be due
to the windows...lol.

The house is constructed of solid plastered walls.

It's a problem we never had prior to the windows being fitted and is a
complete nuisance of a job that I hadn't expected to have to do every couple
of months.

Anyone else had any experience of this type of thing or a view of what might
be causing it would be appreciated?

Pictures would be helpful. Is it a bay window? How much of the frame
closes the cavity and how much is actually sitting in brickwork?

What do you mean the house is made of plaster?