Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_Boat Old_Boat is offline

Default Ants, Lots of Ants

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have had tiny, tiny ants here in FL this year. Terro does the job
better than anything else I tried but it won't keep from year to year.
Buy new Terro and when the summer is over, throw it away and buy fresh
next year. The ants will be back. I got a large bottle of spray at
Home Depot and sprayed outside the house....helps cut down on various
insects.

The tiny ants come in the kitchen and bath. I have been careful to
keep things clean and have no idea how they got in. I recaulked all
the windows and the tile in the bathroom.....and when it starts raining
outside they all come running in.

I just spent the last 4 hours chasing carpenter ants. I found several
cavities in the wood that had pupas ( little white maggot looking things) in
them. I cleaned all them out, killed all the ant that I found. There were
tons of them, until I saw not more in the area. They have pretty much
decimated a section of wood about 12 feet long that used to be a 2 x 8. This
is in a converted porch that the previous owner built. I plan to tear it
off, but was not planning to do it until next year. I just don't want to
cause them to move somewhere else. This area was damp from the roof leaking,
the rest of the place is dry. Any one know how to tell if you found the
nest? I have read that the only way to rid the place of carpenter ants is to
physically remove the nest.

By the way I set out the nutra sweet for a week and they did not touch it,
so I guess that theory is all wet.

LJ