Posted to alt.home.repair
The Other Funk The Other Funk is offline

Default How do I remove an old oil fuel tank?

Finding the keyboard operational
46erjoe entered:

Getting ready to sell an old house. It used to be heated by fuel oil.
Now it's gas forced air, but the old 100 gallon tank remains in the
dirt basement. (At least I think it's 100 gallon - I don't know how to
measure volume in an oval container.)

My realtor says I need to remove it. I used a sawzall to open up a
small hole in the top to see how much oil is left inside. I would
guess about 25 gallons.

I called a waste removal company to get a quote. Yikes! $2000. I'd
like to tackle this job myself.

I figure I can cut open the entire top with my sawzall to get at the
oil. But then I'm not sure where to go from there. And even if I'm
able to pump or hand-bucket carry the oil to a 55 gallon drum, what do
I do with the stuff?

I can probably cut up the tank into pieces and put them on the curb
for garbage pick-up one piece at a time.

Ideas? What would you do? Is $2000 a fair price?

Local and state laws are going to determine what you need to do. Cutting a
hole in the tank may have been a big no-no. If you have a "full disclosure"
law where you are, you are going to have to show that the tank was removed
properly. You may even have to show that the ground under the tank isn't
contaminated.
Get a few more quotes but $2K may be a lot cheaper then defending yourself
in a ground water pollution case.
Bob

--?
--?