MrCheerful

Default Fence panel sizes

Mike Atkinson {reply address in .sig} wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the standard 6' fence panels are actual size,

or
nominal (I.e. some allowance for post thickness)? I guess I could
answer this by taking a tape measure down to B&Q, but this group has
not yet let me down!

I ask as I need to replace a fence which is about to collapse due to
the fence posts having rotted through. These posts are (were)

located
in metal pegs, which I'd hoped to re-use, leaving them in their
current locations. However, measuring the existing panels reveals
these to be between 179 and 180 cm, about 71". Once panel is only
about 4' long, so I'd have to cut one panel, but I'd rather not have
to do the lot!

The other alternative is nail feather edge boards up individually to
arris (sp?) rails. Or closeboard panels - are these nailed to rails,
or do these also fit inbetween posts? I'm somewhat loathe to follow
these options, as they're more costly, and we don't intend to be in
our current house for more than another year.

Many thanks for any response,
Mike.

I have just measured a b and q cheapy fence panel and it is a
sixteenth under 6 foot. Bearing in mind it is very hot and dry, so it
is probably just over 6 foot on a damp day.

MrCheerful