Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown PipeDown is offline

Default Possibly faulty seal beneath the flush valve in a 1935 antique Toilet

"T. T." wrote in message
oups.com...
By the way, just a side question, I noticed that for the Kohler
Wellworth K-3423 (see
http://www.homeclick.com/showpage.asp?itemid=56942) it has a oval
shaped base that attached to the floor, while the Kohler K-3591 has a
more square shaped base (which closer to my current old toilet), see
http://www.picturetrail.com/toilet2006/
As my bathroom floor is tile, does this matter?? I mean if I take away
the old toilet, I would guess that it would leave out a squared shaped
floor, correct? So if I install a K-3423 (oval base), what would happen
to the floor?? Would it look really ugly?? Please advice, thanks!

Hopefully the floor is tiled up to the pipe and the toilet sits on top of
the tile. In which case just clean the floor and caulk to the new shape.
With a toilet that old, the floor may have been done any number of ways.
Try flapper valves with different shapes and material. Silicone or rubber
might work better than the other. You might be able to build your own new
valve seat using silicone RTV but you will have to have a very even edge.