Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default GFCI outlet troubleshooting

"Rampy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed a GFCI outlet in a hall bathroom, following the
manufacturers instructions for determining which of the two sets of
wires were load vs. line. The install and testing seemed to go o.k.,
however when I turn on the hall light the outlet immediately trips. I
can turn off the light and reset the outlet, but can't reset while the
hall light is on. Is it possible that the load is too much for the 15
amp GFCI outlet? Or is it more likely that I have something miswired?

Here's an easy test that would provide some new info:

Remove all lighbulbs controlled by the hall light switch. Now switch on the
hall light switch and does the GFCI still trip?

Other than the hall lights, are there other receptacles downstream of the
GFCI? If so, you can do additional testing there.

When you say "cannot reset when the hall light is on", do you mean:
(1) cannot reset while the hall light switch is on and the hall lights are
off
(2) cannot reset while the hall light switch is on and the hall lights are
also on!??