Carl Byrns

Default Epoxy and machine building....

On 17 Dec 2003 19:53:05 -0800, (Richard
Nienhuis) wrote:

I've been looking around the net for information on how epoxy/granite
machine bases are formulated. So far I have come up with very little.

You should look he
www.westsystem.com for tech info.These guys are
a great resource and won't BS you about what epoxy can and cannot do.
The products are outstanding also.

The other big name in epoxy is System Three www.systemthree.com .
I can't comment on System Three's products, but I have seen one of the
company's officers post on a wooden boat forum and he tends to gloss
over some of the better know limitations of epoxy.

You should be aware that curing epoxy generates a lot of heat- enough
so that it could catch fire in the mold. That would be bad.
I'm sure the tech guys at WEST system know how to safely cast large
amounts of epoxy.

I'm going to attempt to make a smallish mill with a somewhat homebrew
epoxy formula. If anyone knows anything about these sorts of things
feel free to speak up.

It won't be cheap- WEST System epoxy is about 40.00 USD a quart.
For two gallons, figure on $400 with shipping, three gallons $500.
That's closing in on a complete mill from Harbor Fright.

Some problems I have a
Where can I get 2 or 3 gallons of epoxy and enough hardener?

Any good marine supply.

-Carl