Posted to alt.home.repair
______? ______? is offline

Default Ants, Lots of Ants

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:24:20 -0500, Steve broke out their crayolas and
scribbled:

What is the best procuct for getting rid of ants? I see a bunch around my
kitchen window and sink, and I kill them, and minutes later there are more.
They are the really small ones.
I think they are in the walls. Do they live in the ground, and just travel
thru the wall to the kitchen?

I do keep my kitchen very clean, so it's not like there are food crumbs
laying around.

Pharaoh Ant, sugar ant, and **** ant, are some of the common names for
what seem to be really small ants (1/16") that can invade the walls of a
house in the southern United States and can be a PIA getting rid of
them. Wipe counter spaces off with vinegar and allow to air dry to keep
them off of food preparation areas. Clean and reapply vinegar after
preping food or daily as required. Then set bait stations out "in line"
with the trails that they use. Avon's (TM) Skin-So-Soft (TM) can be
sprayed on table legs but must be reapplied weekly to be effective.

I was told by an externinator that spraying this type of ant with bug
spray applications only causes them to split the colony and spreading the
colony further. I don't state this as fact, only repeating what I was told
by someone I felt was compedent. He recognised the critters as soon as he
saw them and recomended I look them up on the "net".

Here is a couple of links that may be of interest.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2136.html
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-2061.html