Posted to alt.home.repair
T. T. T. T. is offline

Default Possibly faulty seal beneath the flush valve in a 1935 antique Toilet

Hi all, we have a 1935 American Standard antique toilet which might
have a faulty seal beneath the flush valve (for pictures please see
http://www.picturetrail.com/toilet2006/). The thing is that it is an
old toilet with brass (I guess) seal, instead of a plastic one, and I'm
not sure whether the size of the seal is different from the generic
seals that you could get from, say, fluidmaster. I changed the flapper,
but it still can not create a tight closure against the flush value.
Water still leaks down the drain (very slowly). For this kind of
antique toilet, could I still use say the Fluidmaster (fluidmaster.com)
Complete Repair Kit (model 400AK) or a flush valve to repair it?? If
not, what other options do I have to repair it?? Also, I think this is
a 3.5GL type of Toilet which is not conserving water, if I change the
Fluidmaster Complete Repair Kit, does it still flush with 3.5GL, or it
would become 1.6GL?? Thanks!