Posted to alt.home.repair
Rampy Rampy is offline

Default GFCI outlet troubleshooting

Not being an electrician, I'll do my best (and appreciate the help)...

Two sets of wires enter the box, each with white, black, ground. I
determined the line set by leaving only one set of the wires connected
to the outlet, powering on at the breaker box, and seeing that power
still flowed to the outlet. I didn't test the other pair, but assumed
them to be a load. The grounds are all bound together and connected to
the common copper ground on the box and to the outlet ground. Line in
at the top, load out at the bottom. Sorry, but I don't really have
information beyond that. Thanks again for the info.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Rampy wrote:

I installed a GFCI outlet in a hall bathroom, following the
manufacturers instructions for determining which of the two sets of
wires were load vs. line. The install and testing seemed to go o.k.,
however when I turn on the hall light the outlet immediately trips. I
can turn off the light and reset the outlet, but can't reset while the
hall light is on. Is it possible that the load is too much for the 15
amp GFCI outlet? Or is it more likely that I have something miswired?

We need more info on just HOW it's wired before anyone can give you a
definite answer.

AFAIK GFCI outlets will NOT trip on pure current overloads, the circuit
breaker ahead of them does that job.

So, I'd say that something IS miswired, or perhaps a ground fault leak
in the light fixture is the source of your problem.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)