Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default GFCI outlet troubleshooting

Rampy wrote:

I installed a GFCI outlet in a hall bathroom, following the
manufacturers instructions for determining which of the two sets of
wires were load vs. line. The install and testing seemed to go o.k.,
however when I turn on the hall light the outlet immediately trips. I
can turn off the light and reset the outlet, but can't reset while the
hall light is on. Is it possible that the load is too much for the 15
amp GFCI outlet? Or is it more likely that I have something miswired?

We need more info on just HOW it's wired before anyone can give you a
definite answer.

AFAIK GFCI outlets will NOT trip on pure current overloads, the circuit
breaker ahead of them does that job.

So, I'd say that something IS miswired, or perhaps a ground fault leak
in the light fixture is the source of your problem.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)