Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeepnstein Jeepnstein is offline

Default City property tax avoidance

Phisherman wrote:
I found out that I have a neighbor that has not paid his city property
taxes for several years and he owes several thousand dollars plus
overdue penalties. This information is made public, online. He buys
a new car every two years so I know he can afford to pay property
taxes. So, I'm wondering if the city will ever do anything about
people who don't pay? How is it that property owners can get away
with this for so many years?

When I was a tax collector a few years back all I ever had to do was
make a friendly call to whoever had the first mortgage. They'd send
the money and tack it onto his payments. After a couple of times
they'd pay up and foreclose it themselves. Mortgage companies don't
like unpaid taxes.

J.