Posted to alt.home.repair
Dugie Dugie is offline

Default Installing an air conditioner in vinyl window

Sorry! I meant to include that I will NOT take the tech's advice.

Dugie

"Dugie" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
Put a support block of wood so the weight does not rest on the vinyl.
Use white duct tape to hold the wings of the ac open and sealed.
Dugie wrote:
Hi,

We have new vinyl windows, and want to re-install our Fedders window

A/C
in
a vertical double-hung window, for which the unit is made.
It was easy with the older windows. I just used a wood frame and

screws.

Using screws in the new vinyl window may cause permanent damage, so I

need
another method.
The A/C unit is small, about 5K BTU. The usable window opening is

21.1"
wide
x 13.7" high (53.6 cm wide x 34.7 cm high), large enough to accept

the
A/C
unit.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Dugie

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have enough info to install the unit
safely.

FWIW, the window tech was here today for some window warranty work. He has
20 years experience. He said is was ok to let the unit rest on the small
vinyl front edge at the bottom of the frame, no other support, except to
drive a 5/8" screw at the top of the unit and into the sash.. Use wood
blocks at the top to prevent opening of the lower sash. He'd never been
asked about A/C install in vinyl windows before. Neither had Mitten Vinyl,
my supplier, when I called them.

BTW, it's a 2nd floor window.

Dugie