Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Why do old trinitron tubes go green?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . net,
EDM wrote:
Later CRTs used a more 'orange' red which was more efficient and didn't
exhibit this fault. But wasn't as good as the original when new.

That's for sure. Anyone remember Zenith's FTM1490?
Just stunning red.

Yes. First generation PAL sets in the UK - dating from about '70 - were
capable of superb pictures when properly set up. Then the rot set in with
PIL tubes. They may have been consistent, but never as good as a decent
shadowmask.

I work in TV production, and think the grade 1 monitors used for camera
setup use the same NTSC phosphors as all those years ago...

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

It sounds like you're speaking of the shadowmask in the past tense as if
modern CRTs don't use them anymore!

The 70s tubes were delta gun types and as I remember them, the convergence
(both static and dynamic) was downright evil to set up correctly. The PIL
tubes only need static convergence (if that!) and don't get mis aligned as
easily as the old delta gun tubes did, almost every delta gun set I ever
serviced needed convergence adjustment whilst this need became extremely
rare with the later PIL tubes.