Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] wood_newbie@yahoo.com is offline

Default where to buy dye for wood floors

jo_jo wrote:
I've been trying pigmented stains on a pine floor and they suck. I've
sealed the pine and even tried gel stain, but they look terrible so
far.

I've read about using dyes instead of pigmented oil stains. Where do
you buy this in the US (Texas)? Colron/Ronseal is a UK brand and I
didn't see a dealer list on their site. All the hardware stores here
carry is minwax or olympic, two versions of the same product.

I'm trying to get an orangish-yellow color, not turn the pine into
something it's not. I just didn't want the unfinished look on the
floors. I know pine darkens with age, but I don't think I'll enjoy
looking at unfinished pine until it turns the right shade.

Try Jeff Jewitt's http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. He sells both
powder and pre-mixed dyes under his TransTint and TransFast brands.
Good stuff.

No affiliation.