Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default questions about laser distance measuring devices

Does anyone know more detail on the accuracy of the laser distance measuring
devices? E.g. something like this:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....tance+Measurer

It says the accuracy is ± ¼" at 100 feet. Does that scale proportionally, so
that at 50 feet, the accuracy is 1/8", and at 25 feet, the accuracy is
1/16"? Or is the accuracy going to be 1/4" independent of the actual
distance being measured?

Furthermore, is the error a consistent error, or random error? In other
words, if I use it to measure a 100 feet distance 10 times, would I get 10
different readings distributed in a 1/4" range, or would I get the same
reading 10 times that is within 1/4" of 100 feet?