Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default How do I remove an old oil fuel tank?

46erjoe wrote:
Getting ready to sell an old house. It used to be heated by fuel oil.
Now it's gas forced air, but the old 100 gallon tank remains in the
dirt basement. (At least I think it's 100 gallon - I don't know how to
measure volume in an oval container.)

My realtor says I need to remove it. I used a sawzall to open up a
small hole in the top to see how much oil is left inside. I would
guess about 25 gallons.

That sawzall was not a good idea. Sparks, oil .... Not good.

Most everywhere has regulations about oil tanks. I understand some
require inspections at the time of a transfer and having the remains of a
tank without the paperwork might end up being far more expensive than having
it done properly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit