Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Installing an air conditioner in vinyl window

"Dugie" wrote in message
Hi,

We have new vinyl windows, and want to re-install our Fedders window A/C
in
a vertical double-hung window, for which the unit is made.
It was easy with the older windows. I just used a wood frame and screws.

Using screws in the new vinyl window may cause permanent damage, so I need
another method.
The A/C unit is small, about 5K BTU. The usable window opening is 21.1"
wide
x 13.7" high (53.6 cm wide x 34.7 cm high), large enough to accept the
A/C
unit.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Dugie

I cut a 2x4 to width of window sill (inside). Painted the 2x4 white. I used
90 deg. angle brackets on each end of the 2x4 and screwed them into the 2x4
top side and into the sides of the window frame (through sheetrock into the
rough frame). I set the AC on the 2x4. The mounting flange of the AC rests
in the vinyl window channel on bottom and one side but most of the weight
is on the 2x4. I then cut a piece of 1/2" OSB (plywood) to fill the space on
the other side. Painted white. The OSB also nested in the vinyl channel on
bottom and one side. Note my AC also has an exterior support bracket
installed.

On another house I built an exterior support and shelf with plywood and
2x4's extending to the ground. The shelf resting on the inside sill with
shims to make it level. The AC did not touch the vinyl at all. I also used
plywood to fill in space on the sides.

Kevin