Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Bogiatzidis Peter Bogiatzidis is offline

Default OT Resizing a Dust Collector Pre-separator

Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on what parts size changes would be needed
when building the following Woodcraft DIY dust collector pre-separator,
which is based upon using a 44 gallon container. If, due to "shop" space
limitations, I choose to use a 32 gallon or smaller container, is it just a
matter of reducing the sizes based upon the ratio?

http://woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408

That said, I came up with the following approximate sizes. Using a 32 gallon
container the pipe size would change to 2 3/16", the couplings to 1 7/8" and
the inlet pipe to 7 1/4". Again, these are just ballpark numbers. I don't
even know if PVC fittings are available in those sizes.

If I'm on the right track, then I assume that the same would apply if making
one from a 5 gallon bucket as well. Is that true?

I realize that we're not talking about rocket science here and am just
trying to learn.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.