Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default DIY led guide

"DaveM" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
DaveM wrote:
What I don't appreciate is the practice of spamming the newsgroups in
order to advertise a web site.

Of course the info is designed to sell their product. It's called
advertising. How better to make their products and presence known than
on a web site.

Please tell... what is misleading about the information on the web site?

I take it that's directed at me?

Well, it will have to be from memory since the site's not now available
here.

It doesn't give general advice on LEDs but simply the ones they sell.
Then things like LEDs can't be used on AC, and that those with built in
resistors are better value than plain ones.

Have you bought any of their products and found them to be inferior or
otherwise not as avertised?

Err, the subject was DIY LED guide. That could be a useful facility for
many if genuine and comprehensive. But it's simply an ad.

If not, then I submit that you are a spammer as well.

Oh yes? How many spammers reply to newsgroup posts? And how many include
genuine e-mail address? ;-)

--

Your statement that the information on the site was misleading and
designed to sell their product was what I was bringing into question. I

I looked at the web site in question, and there does seem to be a decent
discussion of LED applications, mounting techniques, etc. Granted, the
site would appeal more to the novice, but the info presented there is
pretty general, not applying just to their products (although it is
slanted towards use of their products).
Their mention of the use of LEDs on AC specifically states that they can't
be hooked directly across wall power, and is absolutely correct. Unless
you use some sort of circuitry to limit voltage and current, damage will
ensue.

This sort of thing can be bad in a group, or good. I don't necessarily
reject all advertising as bad, but it's a case of where you draw the line,
and I guess that officially, it has to be at zero tolerance, although that
is to some extent academic in a group that has not been set up to be
moderated, so has no intrisic mechanism to kill such posts.

I don't really like it when companies 'spam' a group with their adverts,
particularly when they are doing it spread-shot to many groups where their
products have no relevance. On the other hand, occasionally, a component
supplier or info supplier or whatever, whose products or services might be
useful to group members, does pop up on here. If that supplier or
manufacturer has a genuine desire to help the electronics business - and not
all are rogues and charlatans just out to make a fast buck off of internet
fools - then should we condemn that supplier for trying ? Also, I don't have
a problem when a genuine non-commercial person, posts a link to the website
of a supplier or manufacturer that they've found useful or helpful, or whose
products or services they feel would be useful to the group in general. It's
a fine line to be sure ...

Arfa