Posted to rec.electronics,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Do failing LEDs flicker?

In article , Grey wrote:

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,
I have a piece of audio gear which has an illuminated power switch. The
LED inside flickers. Should I replace the LED, or is something else at
play here? I was under the impression (for no good reason) that LEDs
are like light bulbs - either they work or they don't -- no flickering.

Unless the circuit board/connection was failing, LED's don't flicker, they
just go to "silicon heaven".

Some LEDs of recent years have come from manufacturers shoddy enough to
make some of their clunkers manage to flicker! (I have seen millions of
LEDs, hundreds of different part numbers, with as far as I can tell all
with semiconductor material excluding silicon for that matter!)

Meanwhile, I would still investigate other explanations, such as
intermittent contact in a bad solder joint or the flickering lamp being an
aged neon lamp! Illuminmated power switches to this day continue to
mostly use neon lamps, and those often flicker when they have accumulated
10,000-30,000 operating hours where the AC line voltage is 120 or so
(as opposed to 230 or so, where neon lamps with appropriate resistors can
run much longer with merely fading before they start flickering).

- Don Klipstein )