Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default SWR SM 900 intermittent noises

wrote in message
oups.com...
When I hit a certain a certain frequency, it is followed by a distorted
sound. Also certain notes have a vibrato like sound. I have eliminated
all possibilities but the amp. I am wondering if it may be the filter
caps or if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

I think I am correct in that this amp has a tube (valve) front end ?? If so,
the tubes themselves would be my next suspicion, as such resonances can
occur as a result of loose electrode structures. Is the problem affected by
how loud the unit is turned up ? If so, could be a power supply problem.
This amp has pretty meaty output stages, and poor power supply regulation
could lead to problems with the front end. I think that the next place I
might be going after that, is to try to set up the problem with a signal
generator. It should then be fairly easy to track it down with a 'scope.

Arfa