Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical question

Most tend to be around four to five thousand square feet, but generally have
two units in them. I'm wasn't doubting 120 volt units exist, in fact I've
often wondered why they used 240 volts with a relatively small draw. I'll
have to ask an AC guy what the deal is

"CJT" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

Most of the furnace mounted blowers I've wired,(residential) draw 12 amps
@ 120 volt

That surprises me. Mine draws about 5.2 amps, for a 2000 sq. ft.
house. I guess you must be dealing with some pretty big houses,
but I would have thought those would be zoned systems.

"CJT" wrote in message

RBM wrote:

In the Northeast, the only ones I've ever seen that were 120 volt were
part of a furnace

Since this is alt.home.repair, isn't as "part of a furnace" where you'd
typically find an air handler? Typically a furnace fan will only draw
about 5 amps at 120 volts anyway, so there's not much motivation to move
to 240V.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
igy.com...

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that. You have two unused breakers
in
the panel, but unless you have a forced hot air heat system, you'll
need
four spaces in the panel. A double pole for the condenser, and a
double pole
for an air handler.

Naaah. The air handler will be a 120V load.

--
Regards,