Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Electrical question

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:24:26 GMT, Andrew Taylor
wrote:

The heat has motivated me to have central air installed at my home. I am
trying to avoid getting ripped off on the electrical part of the job.

My understanding is that central air conditioning units generally pull
about 30 amps, depending on the size. At any rate, when I look at my
electrical service box, there are two 20 amp breakers that are unused.
Is it easy to somehow combine these two to support the needs of the
central air? Should the contractor that installs the AC be able to
handle this as a standard part of the job, or am I looking at additional
expenses?

Thanks.

I see people replying to this about yoru orginal question, but I have
one of my own. Why do you have two unused 20 amp breakers in the
panel?

later,

tom