Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default DIY led guide

DaveM wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
DaveM wrote:
What I don't appreciate is the practice of spamming the newsgroups in
order to advertise a web site.
Of course the info is designed to sell their product. It's called
advertising. How better to make their products and presence known than
on a web site.
Please tell... what is misleading about the information on the web site?

I take it that's directed at me?

Well, it will have to be from memory since the site's not now available
here.

It doesn't give general advice on LEDs but simply the ones they sell.
Then things like LEDs can't be used on AC, and that those with built in
resistors are better value than plain ones.

Have you bought any of their products and found them to be inferior or
otherwise not as avertised?

Err, the subject was DIY LED guide. That could be a useful facility for
many if genuine and comprehensive. But it's simply an ad.

If not, then I submit that you are a spammer as well.

Oh yes? How many spammers reply to newsgroup posts? And how many include a
genuine e-mail address? ;-)

--

Your statement that the information on the site was misleading and designed to
sell their product was what I was bringing into question. I was curious as to

I looked at the web site in question, and there does seem to be a decent
discussion of LED applications, mounting techniques, etc. Granted, the site
would appeal more to the novice, but the info presented there is pretty general,
not applying just to their products (although it is slanted towards use of their
products).
Their mention of the use of LEDs on AC specifically states that they can't be
hooked directly across wall power, and is absolutely correct. Unless you use
some sort of circuitry to limit voltage and current, damage will ensue.

And that's all I have to say about that. (Forrest Gump)

The OP seems to imply that one would get a general discussion of LED's
for the beginner. The actual site gives little information about LED's.
It's simply a catalog with applications. It doesn't give any
information on how to use LED's that do not come out of their warehouse,
or general info on how LED's work...the implication of the OP.

That would be spam.

jak