Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Hock Ron Hock is offline

Default Should I use Shellac?

wrote:
Ron Hock wrote:

If you're finishing a piece of work that you care about, caring for the
shellac should be no problem. If the above restrictions don't make it,
use something else. I liken it to the choice between high-carbon and
stainless-steel knives in the kitchen. Sure, sometimes the stainless
blade is more practical, and the high carbon requires a bit of care to
keep it from rusting, but I know which one makes a better knife and I'm
willing to exercise the care required.

Ron,

I'm with you...I love the beauty that shellac imparts. My only
complaint is the ease with which a shellac finish scratches. Is there
anything I can do on the front-end to minimize this tendency?

TIA

I've heard that some flexibility can be added (brittleness reduced) with
the addition of various plant resins such as Manila Copal, Benzoin,
sandarac, damar, and mastic but I've seen very little written about them
and have done little of my own research. Anyone know more about these
resins?

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS