Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu klaatu is offline

Default any experience with curving lexan/plexiglass

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:32:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:39:48 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 07:36:02 -0400, abt wrote:

making a curved footboard/cabinet for childs bed and want to
make curved 'glass' doors. is it possible to heat lexan and mold or
will it scorch? Thanks

How far do you need to go. what radius. If it is in a frame you can
cold bend it a fairly good bit.

It also cuts and shapes well with standard woodworking tools.

Frank

I made a scraper for my pontoon boat from a big lexan ice scraper. I
put it in boiling water and it was easy to mold it to the shape of a
pontoon. It is just starting to be soft at 100c

Lexan must be baked at a low temp. befor raising the temp
enough to bend it. Try 150 to 200 degrees for 12 hrs on a test
piece. The reason is that Lexon has a lot of water in it that
must be driven off at a low temp. That is the same reason
that oil or gasoline make Laxan brittle. They replace the
water. Plexi doesn't have this problem.