Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Moos Bob Moos is offline

Default Tools, Tooling and Design

charlie b wrote:

Back to the question - do you find that having a range of tools and
tooling change your initial design idea as you go?

That sounds like how I do stuff.

I do this stuff for fun and a hobby. Most of the time I work out
what I want to do in my mind. Sometimes I'll draw some of that out
on graph paper, but at best it's just a rough idea to get dimensions.
While I have an idea of what I want to do either in my mind or on
paper, or both--I ultimately wind up reworking that idea as I go
and see how things are coming together.

So far, I find that what I do is based mostly on the tools I have
available. Such that those tools form the language of what it is
I'm able to express. Sometimes as I'm working on something, I
realize that it would be better/easier to do something with a
tool I don't have. If that tools is within my budget, I'll get it and
then add new vocabulary to my language. At the moment, I think I'm
speaking at the level of a 2 year old.