Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Driving over septic system

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to take down a large tree in my backyard where the only way to
do it is either through a climber (very expensive) or by bucket truck
(much cheaper and I liked the owner). $2,000 vs $600

The main issue is that there is no way to avoid crossing the septic
system. Mine is about 45 years old.

I once heard you can't drive over any part of the septic system. What
he plans to do it to use ground protection mats to create a path to
the tree. He says it is not good to drive directly over the tanks,
but it would be fine to go over the pipes using these mats. In
particular this would be the pipe between the house and the tank (not
the leach fields). I estimate the pipe is buried only about a foot
and a half. He says that because of the round shape it can take a
great deal of pressure without breaking.

This is a site with mats like he is describing:
http://www.alturnamats.com/

Does this sound ok and safe to do or should I go the more expensive
route and get a climber?

Thanks,
Steve

My leach field is on the other side of my driveway from the house. About
thirty years of all kinds of trucks, including garbage trucks driving across
the pipe from the tank to the field (gravel driveway) hasn't hurt it.

Tom G.