Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Java Jive Java Jive is offline

Default Problem with Waste Plumbing For Both Dishwasher And Washing Machine

I think I prefer the general idea of a standpipe ...

Posting to the group has helped me straighten out my thinking a bit ...

I was thinking that the main purpose of the trap was to stop smells coming
out of the sewer, but I now realise they also serve to isolate the
appliances waste systems from each other. The more I think about it, the
more I think something like this is required (ASCII Art needs fixed font as
before):
From bathroom
| |
| | Main Soil Stack
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | | Sink | | | | |
| | +----+ +-----+ | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | +---+Standard Sink U-Trap | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | Standard U-Trap | | | |
| | +---+ | /-------+---------/ | | |
| | | | | /---+ | +--------/ | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | +---+ | |
| | | | | | Standard U-Trap| |
| | | |
| | +---+
| |
To sewer

I hate these ruddy standpipes. NO idea why we use em.

I 'hard wired' mine into the plumbing before a sink trap.

Anyone know why we cant 'hard wire' the washing machines as well?