Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fully Electric Car available soon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
A car does 250 miles and he thinks it is not enough, maybe he wants to
go to Mars. Sad isn't it.

It is if you think Mars is just over 250 miles away. Which loonie website
have you been reading now?

Most people are happy driving about 500 miles in a day. Many modern cars
will do this on one tank - others can be refuelled in minutes. The ability
to re-charge electric cars in the same time is pie in the sky.

Not quite true.

It takes about 10 minutes to fill a car up and then potter around ..if
you think that yiu can do 500 miles with just a ten minute break, well
be my guest. I would normally break a 500 mile journey halfway for a
comfort break - pee, food, coffee etc. Thats maybe 45 minutes.

You can just about recharge a LIPO battery to about 80% capacity from
dead flat in 45 minutes.

The two longest stints I have ever done were Copenhagen to Cambridge,
non stop apart from a ferry crossing and a 45 minute nap at Aaachen at 2
a.m. 23 hours in total..and 900 miles from Tuscany to Cambridge in 16
hours dead, with two drivers and an hour break in the middle plus an
hour on the ferry, and three refuelling stops. I would not normally
exceed 200 miles in a stint in ANY car..and such journeys are pretty
rare. If for no other reason than its cheaper by air over 200 miles, and
quicker..I think the times when I would exceed 200 miles without at
least 40 minutes halt in the middle are rare to be almost nonexistent.
It might be instructive to look at the government regulations regarding
driving hours for HGV vehicles, and draw your own conclusions.