Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] noos999@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default IKEA kitchens lack of service void

Hi all

The lack of a service void on IKEA kitchen cabinets has been discussed
several times here. In my case (if I choose an IKEA kitchen) this will
be as issue under the sink as there are two pipes running horizontally
behind the sink unit and the adjacent corner unit. Could a solution be
simply to miss out the hardboard backing board and cut notches in the
side-walls of the base units to accommodate the pipes? Presumably the
backing board is there to give rigidity rather than load-bearing
strength so perhaps I could use some angle brackets instead in order to
give the base units rigidity?

thanks

Julian