Carl West

Default Watch Crystal Magnifier Removal?

Randal O'Brian wrote:

There was no help on the watch forums, so maybe you all can help. I want to
remove the little magnifier lens over the date window on my cheap Seiko
wrist watch. It appears to be glued on the crystal. I tried MEK as a
solvent with no effect as it evaporated too quickly. The lens is right at
the edge of the crystal and it is difficult to prevent a liquid from going
over the edge of the crystal into the sealed joint with the bezel. If I
can't find a solvent, there is always a cold chisel.....G. Failing that,
I think I can get a new plain crystal installed, but I was hoping there is
some way to remove it in the shop. Thanks.

You can definitely get a new crystal installed. $35 at my shop.
The magnifier is probably on with a UV-setting cement. I'm unaware of a solvent for the stuff.

As a _last_ resort, I'd try crushing the magnifier by gripping it with a vicegrip or end-cutters and giving it a squeeze. Then scrape the remains away with a single-edge razorblade.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

If I had six hours to chop down a tree,
I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.
- Abraham Lincoln