Posted to alt.home.repair
tivolo tivolo is offline

Default Air conditioner overamping

Our A/C will shut itself off intermittently only to start working again
some time later (sometimes 10-15 minues, sometimes hours). We had two
HVAC technicians come out (from the same company no less), both of whom
diagnosed the problem as the condenser overamping (pulling 20 amps when
only rated for 18).

The first technician suggested replacing the contact points (or
something like that) and the fuse -- what he said would be a $200
repair. The second technician said neither of those repairs would
actually help, and that the condenser would have to be replaced.

I know nothing about A/C or electrical matters in general, but given
the different answers (and costs) I was hoping someone could tell me
which, if either of these guys, is telling me the truth.

Thanks!
Ken