Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Attic fans w/o putting holes in the roof

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Is there anyway to use existing vents for attic fans or is taking a
big chunk out of the roof the only real option?

First let's make sure we are talking about the same thing. There are
fans designed to vent just the attic space and there are whole house fans,
usually mounted in the central hall way ceiling, that vent the whole house.

Assuming just the attic, I would suggest that 90% if the time you are
better off not having an powered fan. The included both electric and those
turbine things.

The make noise and vibration. In most cases they contribute very little
or nothing to cooling your home or protecting the roof. At best they tend
to cool the attic space somewhat, but that does not contribute much to the
living area assuming the attic is properly insulated.

If the area is properly ventilated using passive vents, that is the way
to go.

You really did not describe what kind of venting you have now, nor the
amount nor the reason you desire to change it. That information could be
helpful.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit