Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

Do you have a predominant design, i.e. bowls, hollow forms, utensils,
candlesticks? Local or exotic woods? I need to decide what I'm going to
sell.

Hi Tom:

I make mostly bowls and hollow forms using local Ozark hardwoods, big
leaf maple burl and mesquite burl (the latter two being purchased as
blocks). With my local stuff I try to find wood that has some figure
or maybe "defects" (borer holes, etc.) to add some interest. Rarely
use exotics except as an inlay, handle or other small detail. I've
made a few candle sticks and think I still own all of them. Most of my
stuff would be classed, I guess as decorative, relatively little plain
vanilla treen type pieces. I enjoy making plates out of figured woods,
but find that they sell pretty slowly. I think that pieces that are
fairly tall (ie more vase like than bowl like) probably sell the best.
Only reason that I can figure for this is that they can be displayed on
a shelf or on a table top where as many of the lower silhouette pieces
lose some of their impact if you cannot see the inside.

Hope this is of some help -good luck with sales!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR