Hoyt McKagen

Default Tree trunk cannon

Dave Mundt wrote:
cannon from a tree trunk (OMWC - Blacksmith making hoops for strength
and applying them hot).

I was singularly underwhelmed by that technique. I noticed they not only
applied them hot, but fumbled a rivet into them from the wood side while
doing so. This of course means the rivet couldn't be set properly (with
the wood for a backup) and the band burnt away the very wood it was
supposed to be buttressing.

The right way to band a trunk would be to do what coopers do: drive the
bands on after they're made and rivited. All they need is to adze a bit
of taper into the trunk to make that easier. AND that would have avoided
a lot of toxic smoke.

As for making one in one day ... no doubt in my mind that it can be done.
For one thing, the auger was probably driven by horsepower, and the
pressure was probably applied by leverage. After all, we use drill
presses which act in precisely the same way in principle.

They may be cool, but they are largely fools in some respects ... I saw
one of them burn off an eyebrow and most of his hair *and* get flash
burns while fooling with gasoline vapors, and he was so lacking in pride
as to let that be shown in the episode. Also, they make mistakes in fact.
The Cola episode is a case in point. CC is actually an excellent fluid to
use on rusted fasteners; I've seen it loosen muffler clamp bolts that
were just about solidy corroded on.

Regards, Hoyt McKagen

To prevent virus propogation, please don't put this addy in your book
Belfab CNC - http://belfab.freeyellow.com/belfab.html
Best MC - http://batwings.freeyellow.com/best.html
Camping/Caving - http://batwings.freeyellow.com/caving.html
Two-Wheel-Tech List - http://batwings.freeyellow.com/2whfaq.html
It's called 'Mad Cow Disease' because 'PMS' was already taken.