Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Room AC Questions

Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Here in the Pacific NW we usually have no need for AC. Yet the older I
get, the more the rare 100+ day affects me. We are going through a series
of 3 or 4 of those days now.

So I'm thinking about the room AC option. I'm not intending to stay in this
house more than another 8 - 10 years, so I don't think the whole house AC
opton really pans out

Any one have any links to sites that purport to give fomulas fo determining
what sze BTUs) unit for what siz spaces?

House is a tri-level. Main level has 24' x 12' living room; 12' x '12
dining room, 14' x 12 kitchen, and a sort of 8' x 6' foyer that leads to
staircases up and down.

Upper level has hall that runs almost width of house; master bedroom and
bath, about 20' X 14'; at one end of hall; largish bedroom at other end of
hall about 14' x 12; smallish bedroom next to that about 10' x 12'; full
bath about 6 ' x 8' .

Lots of doors, etc off that hall to rooms.

Lowest level has short hall at bottom of stairs running along the width of
the house from left to right; 12' x 22 family room with big french door set
with side lites that open, no other windows; full bath and laundry room
opening off middle of hall and another large ish 14' x 14' (?) bedroom off
other end of hall.

I'm thinking unit in upstairs master bedroom;
unit in LR and unit in downstairs large bedroom?

Opinions, thoughts, guidance, heat jokes all welcome.

Thanks.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Okay, since you're open to heat jokes, etc., how about useless
suggesstions like what we call "swamp coolers"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ICE-FAN-LIKE-AIR...QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.asedeals.com/cooling_fans.html

I don't khow about sizing. I go read the box at Walmart.