Artemia Salina

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:51:51 -0500, Allan Adler wrote:

Getting back to how one actually installs rivets, there are some more details
that I don't understand. First, how does one make sure that the rivet deforms
and doesn't instead move through the hole when one hits it with the hammer?
Presumably, some kind of support is required under the plate and/or rivet,
but what kind? Second, it seems that there might be some risk of causing some
deformation of the plate itself in the process of hammering on the rivet? Is
that risk real and if so how does one avoid it (this might be another reason
to prefer red hot rivets)?

Since I've never really worked with rivets (aside from "pop rivets") before
the following is just what I would imagine. Anyone with any experience please
jump in.

I would think that an anvil would be ideal for use in installing rivets if
you were to hammer on them. A press would be even better to use as there is
little chance of damaging anything by a missed blow of a hammer and also
you could use a die to give a more professional finish to the rivet. What
I've seen on the "back" side of rivets are cross-hatch patterns and
perpendicular notches. The perpendicular notching seems to be done in
order to assist the mushrooming of the rivet.

If you don't have an anvil then any massive object with a tough flat
surface should do. I have a chunk of railroad track that I use as an
impromptu anvil, for instance. I don't think lots of hammering is
necessary to set a rivet, depending on it's size and material. You
could regrind a chisel to assist in setting rivets in tight spots.
Grind it so that the business end is slightly cup shaped if possible,
and rest that end on the rivet and give it a whack or two.

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar