Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] websurf1@cox.net is offline

Default Central A/C - leave running or use set-back thermometer?

Bill wrote:
With myself, if it is going to be a very hot day, I'll leave my A/C on all
day. If a mild day, then I'll leave it off.

On mild days, I can come home and turn on the A/C and it will cool down the
house in not too much time. On really hot days, the A/C takes forever to
cool down the house.

Or depending on if I will be away all day and not return until 10:00 PM,
then I will leave it off. Then when I get home, I can open the doors/windows
and cool the house down quickly.

Coincidentally, I saw this article in teh paper on Thursday. The
information indirrectly from SRP, an Arizona power producer:

"Turning your unit off in the morning when you leave the house and then
waiting until you return at night to turn it back on will save you the
most money. The problem is that not only will the air in your house
have a chance to heat up, but the furniture, carpet, walls, etc. will
aso heat up. With all this heat, it will take your air conditioner
longer to bring the temperature back down to a comfortable level.
"The continuous operation of the units is actually very efficient.
Without all the starts and stops of a typical cycling unit, you're able
to run the system at its peak efficiency. However, setting the
thermostat at 85 will aso save you money (perhaps not as much as
turning the unit off), while not taking as long to recool your house.
Both options work; it's just a matter of how much discomfort you're
willing to put up with."

Sounds good to me!....