Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

Hi Arch

Yes I do sell, but-----

I think that I am not turning for turners, you know, ultra thin bowls
and hollow forms that have been drilled cut burned and decorated, must
be my dutch upbringing G, I don't know of any turner that bought a
turning of mine, and yes I'm not part of any parochial groups with the
reciprocal buying of members products.

So no choice but to just keep on making my products the way I like
them, and so far it seems there are a few people out there that do like
them to.

My best products (Who is deciding??) seem to get confiscated before I
ever get a chance to flaunt them.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
I don't sell and my experience re the buying and selling of turned wood
objects is limited to observing buyers at craft shows, art festivals,
club and symposium auctions and shows, gift shops and minor galleries.
My perception of what people will pay for and how much is obviously
narrow and may be flawed, but I suspect I see the major kinds (not
necessarily in dollars) of woodturning sales.

I know nothing of the business of high end art collectors, galleries or
museums. but from my perspective, it appears that fellow turners will
pay more than the public will for turnings that fit the craft/art's
accepted criterion for good work. Not for the few luminaries, but a sort
of reciprocal 'in-bred' support system for intermediate and advanced
turners whose work is at or above the craft's standard for design and
esthetic.

Is my perception false? Excepting the mundane 'rent payer' items, does
your best work, whatever that may be, sell better and for a higher price
to the public or to fellow turners? Granted that turner's can better
appreciate good work, but I wonder for whom the lathes turn.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter