Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

Excepting the mundane 'rent payer' items, does
your best work, whatever that may be, sell better and for a higher price
to the public or to fellow turners? Granted that turner's can better
appreciate good work, but I wonder for whom the lathes turn.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Interesting question Arch, something that I had never thought about.
For my personal sales results (ie at a craft fair or to people who saw
a piece of mine somewhere and came by the house/shop) the number sold
to other individuals who turn is very low: less than ten items, I'm
sure. Also sell thru a few shops and galleries and really have no feel
for who might have purchased things there, but no shop owner ever
indicated that there had been a lot of sales to other craft persons.
My total sales by whatever routes are probably 1100 to 1200 pieces (my
record keeping is not exactly great!) and I suspect that the vast
majority were to non woodworkers

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR