Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Duane Andrew Duane is offline

Default Admiral Dishwasher - The Door is Falling, and It Can't Get Up!

There are springs on the ends of the hinges inside the dishwasher. They
do rust and age, and eventually break sometimes. One of the two on my
older Kitchen Aid broke last year. You need to pull the bottom panel
off and sort out how the springs are attached, and see if you can get
replacements. It's not that hard a job, but I havent done it, I just
live with the "heavy" door.

Can't say about the racks.....

wrote:
My 20-year old Admiral dishwasher is still going strong, except that
last night, when I pulled the door open, I heard a loud crunch, and now
the door just falls open on its own weight everytime I open it. The
springy support that the door used to have is gone, and the door all of
a sudden is now heavy since there is no more spring-loaded assist to
keep it up. Also, all the plastic wheels that make the wire rack glide
out have fallen off.