Posted to uk.d-i-y
MadJen MadJen is offline

Default Another moving a consumer unit question

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I've done a substantial amount of googling on this but I wanted to
get an up-to-date opinion.

I had an old fuse box (with fuses) hidden away under my stairs so I've
moved it into a new coat cupboard nearby. It's a 63A fused supply
which I think is PME or whatever the earthing system is called.

You had better check it is pme - ie the supply company provide you with an
earthing point and not a TT (with an earth rod).
If you were moving the box I would have been tempted to replace it with a
new one

- so does this mean that at the moment you have unearthed the supply as you
have not connected the CPC?

I've put a 100A isolator switch (non-fused) where the old CU was and
added 2 metres of new meter tail type cables from this to the new CU.

Each supply authority has its own requirements for the maximum length of
meter tails whether joined or not - to do with the tens of thousands of amps
that can flow in a short circuit in the tails (molten metal everywhere!)

My questions a

Does this sound OK? I read conflicting advice as to whether fused or
non-fused switches are needed.

I am a bit rusty on the IEE Regs but I do not think it makes much
difference - both are rated for the maximum load but fuses are better.

Can I simply extend the 16mm earth cable to the new CU using an earth
block? Can i put the block in the isolator switch box?

Yes you can extend it using an earth block - and if you have an unearthed
installation I would do it quickly!

All connections are supposed to be accessable - I am not sure how big the
isolator switch box is but if it can be got to easily I suppose so -
provided it is securely fitted to a surface and not waggling about inside

if in doubt you could always get it checked by an electrician - as the work
you have listed requires certification under part P

Thanks!

Steve