Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews Paul Andrews is offline

Default Tree Pruning

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Not DIY I know but you guys seem to have a good knowledge of most things.
My neighbour has a tall Birch tree (30' plus) in his garden. The problem
is quite a bit of it overhangs into my garden and blocks the sun, some
may say good in this weather! I get on reasonably well with him so don't
want to 'muddy the water'. If we have it pruned who pays, him cos it's
his tree, me cos it's over my garden or both as it affects us both. I do
not mind all the arranging of it etc but would he be expected to
contribute. I realise I would have to get his permission first. Any
thoughts? BTW he is a pensioner but doesn't seem to be struggling
financially or healthwise.

Cheers

John

I don't know, I would be interested to know the answer. All I can think is
that it is up to the two of you to come to a mutually agreeable
arrangement regarding costs. Even if the law say that you or he must pay,
you are no further on if either disagrees and refuses to pay their share.
At the end of the day you are neighbours. It is the sort of issue that
they deal with at http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

I think you can prune anything that overhangs your own property, but must
give it back to the neighbour!
So if a branch is removed you have to give it back to your neighbour. I
don't think there's any compunction for your neighbour to pay for this work
to be done even though it's his tree.

I think a friendly chat might be in order - whatever happened to chatting
with the neighbours before consulting the legal position?

I'm sure google will dredge up loads about his - you aren't the first.

Paul